The Sponsorship Journey
The journey towards becoming a sponsor starts in your community. Prospective sponsors can find out if a sponsorship program exists in their country by visiting the GRSI’s interactive global map. Interested sponsors can follow links to websites run by national governments and leading civil society organizations describing the programs.
In general, the key steps involved in the sponsorship journey include:
- forming a local group and generating community support,
- submitting government forms,
- preparing for the refugees’ arrival,
- welcoming and receiving the refugees to their new home, and
- helping to prepare all involved for the refugees’ transition towards independent living.
After learning about the role of a sponsor in your country and local community, individuals and groups should be able to contact a local community organization for guidance. These organizations should be able to support you in your sponsorship journey, helping you to form your sponsorship group and find training opportunities.Date updated: 27 Jun 2022